@Saileshpat tweeted link to Join the Community. 2017-09-27 10:09:57 -0400.@Open_Con is empowering students and ECRs around the world to advance Open Access, Data and Education. Join them! http://www.opencon2017.org/join_the_community?recruiter_id=7867
@Saileshpat tweeted link to Host a Satellite. 2016-08-23 11:23:32 -0400Check out OpenCon. I just joined. http://www.opencon2016.org/satellite?recruiter_id=7867
What are OpenCon satellite events?
OpenCon satellite events combine content, themes, and ideas from OpenCon’s flagship meeting with locally arranged activities.
They provide the perfect opportunity to begin discussions and catalyze local progress on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data while staying connected to a global movement.
OpenCon satellite events are a critical part of the community, allowing the spirit of the global meeting to reach more people. Since 2014, over 6000 people have attended over 70 satellite events in 32 countries.
OpenCon satellite events held in partnership with the main conference can be of any size, in any place, at any time and are open to anyone. Many are held before or after the OpenCon global meeting, or during Open Access Week, Open Education Week, and Open Data Day, but events happen year-round.
Why should you host an OpenCon satellite event?
It’s a great way to kick start or continue to build the momentum for Open Access, Open Education, and/or Open Data in your area and in tandem with others across the world;
By providing part or all of the content, alongside huge amounts of other support it decreases the amount of effort involved in planning a meeting on these issues;
You can host the event in a way which suits you—on your own timeline and with your own speakers, and more;
Satellite events are a great way to continue the Open Access Week conversation; and,
It’s great experience that allows you to join in a conversation with peers around the world.
Steps for getting started
1. Have a look around the satellite event pages. You’ll find resources for publicising your event, obtaining sign-ups, information for streaming on the day and more. We’ll keep updating this kit as resources become available so keep checking back.
2. Get in contact and get connected! We can’t support you if you don’t tell us you’re doing an event! If you’re interested in hosting an event fill out the form at the bottom of this page and get linked up to make sure you get all the info, help and support you need.
3. Brainstorm for your event. This is the fun bit! Start to think about what you’d like your event to look like. We’re happy to chat through ideas with you - but remember this is your event. We’ve given you a headstart here though!
4. Get planning! Once you’ve got your ideas together, it’s time to get planning—the sooner the better for a great event.
5. Get the word out and get sign ups. Once you’ve confirmed the day and the basic details about the event, it’s time to get the word out! We’ll support you with managing signups, providing poster templates, creating an event website, sending publicity emails, and more. Details can be found here.
Want more information from us? Register your interest in hosting!
Fill in the form below to express your interest in hosting an OpenCon satellite event. Once submitted, an organizer from OpenCon will follow up with you directly to answer your questions, help you move forwards. If you’re still excited about hosting an event at that point, we’ll ask you to submit a plan and then provide you with all the support you need to pull of a great event. Please be patient however, as we’re a very small team and at busy times it can take a while!
If you've already expressed your interest in previous years, or feel like you have enough information to start planning your event, you can head straight to the OpenCon satellite event Plan form to submit an event plan for approval from our team.Sign up